This delicious vegan recipe for Thai Green Papaya Salad is everything you could possibly want from a salad: crunchy, sweet, sour, spicy, and salty. Also known as Som Tam, this yummy, healthy salad is sure to put some pep in your step.
This delicious vegan recipe for Thai Green Papaya Salad also known as Som Tam is everything you could possibly want from a salad: crunchy, sweet, sour, spicy, salty and healthy. Easy to make and delicious to taste.
Serving Suggestions For Green Papaya Salad:
- Serve garnished with chopped roasted peanuts and cilantro.
- Som tam tastes awesome as it is. But you can choose to serve it as a side or as a starter with a Thai main course.
- The papaya salad flavors pair well with pan fried tofu, fried rice, stir fried noodles, grilled or sautéed mushrooms, tofu steaks, or fresh, blanched, sautéed or roasted vegetables like carrots, potatoes, brussels sprouts, corn on the cobs, cabbage, green beans, cauliflower, bell pepper or lettuce.
Storage For Green Papaya Salad
- The salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days. You can eat it cold or let it come to room temperature before serving.
- Tamarind: If you are unable to find dried tamarind, substitute ½ to 1 tablespoon of packaged tamarind paste or sauce, depending on how sour it is.
- Soy sauce: Tamari or coconut aminos are acceptable substitutes for soy sauce.
- Alter the pungency: You can use piri piri peppers in place of bird’s eye chiles depending on what you have available. Also, feel free to increase or decrease the amount of chillies depending on your heat tolerance.
- Salt: While I prefer sea salt, you can opt to use kosher salt, Himalayan pink salt or table salt instead.
- Sweeteners: You can opt to use sweeteners like coconut sugar, raw sugar, jaggery, brown sugar that also work well in the recipe.
- Long Beans & Carrots – We do not eat raw beans, so I do not include them in my recipe. However, if you want a more traditional Thai green papaya salad, feel free to add them. You can also add grated carrots if you like.
For Full Recipes Please Click Here